Engdahl Mfg., Inc.About EngdahlProducts and ServicesCustom ManufacturingContact Information

About Engdahl Manufacturing

Engdahl Mfg., Inc. has been providing top-quality custom made tools, dies, stampings, parts and machinery to area manufacturing concerns for 87 years. Products have ranged from tools for the steam turbines used to launch torpedoes back in WWII to attachments which apply sequins to ballet tutus.

Although a manufacturer of all kinds of machined parts, the firm has developed several specialties. Engdahl Mfg., Inc. has become known as a supplier of top quality machined tool steel parts for the textile and printing industries. Production of industrial sewing attachments began 50 years ago and continues to be a major part of of the operation. In addition, spring steel parts for a variety of industries have been stamped, punched, ground and milled at the facility. Over the past 50 years, working with the demanding characteristics of hardened steel has become a specialty at Engdahl, rather than the problem it might be at other firms.

History

In 1913, Mr. Walter F. Engdahl, then a resident of Elgin, Illinois, and employed as a die maker at the Elgin National Watch Company, decided that the time had come for him to go into the toolmaking business for himself.

Having been employed previously in York, Pennsylvania by the Illinois Watch Case Company, Mr. Engdahl made the break, purchased a few used machines in Elgin, and had them shipped to 354 W. Clarke Avenue in York to set up the Engdahl Machine & Tool Company.

James F. Engdahl
James F. Engdahl, c. 1965

James F. Engdahl, son of the founder, joined the firm in 1932. Over the next 56 years he built the machine tool and die shop into a busy manufacturing concern with a well-established reputation for quality and service. James Engdahl retired in 1988, and following the family tradition, Engdahl Mfg., Inc. is currently owned and operated by his son-in-law, Robert J. Ehlenbeck. The business continued at its original location, 354 W. Clarke Ave., for over 90 years. Three of the original machines purchased by the founder are still in operating order today, having been carefully repaired and remodeled over the years. As of June 1, 2013, the firm relocated to a larger facility at 190 Carlisle Ave., York, PA.

A reputation for quality and service has been responsible for Engdahl Mfg., Inc.'s continued success in the years since its founding, providing the industrial community and a world-wide market with the parts it needs.


190 Carlisle Ave. • York, PA 17401
Phone: (717) 854-7114 • Fax: (717) 843-9620
info@engdahlinc.com